Home » Getting Here
Why visit Leadville/Twin Lakes?
- Outdoor Activities: Abundant ways to enjoy fresh air and exercise, both warm-weather activities and cold-weather sports.
- History - Museums & Tours: A well-preserved mining town, full of original Victorian architecture and mining heritage. Visit a museum or take a tour. Explore the Mineral Belt Trail that encircles Leadville. Or read about our history.
- Scenic Beauty: Drive the Top of the Rockies Scenic and Historic Byway. Or just admire the view from Leadville and Twin Lakes. Check the weather.
- Affordable Fun: Find comfortable lodging, dining, and shopping you'll want to return for again and again--all for a reasonable cost.
Request a Visitors Guide.
Leadville is centrally located:
38 miles south of Vail
— Take I-70 east to CO 91 at Exit 195, or I-70 west to US 24 at Exit 171
103 miles west of Denver
— Take CO 82 to US 24
130 driving miles northeast of Aspen (winter)
— Take CO 82 to I-70 east to US 24 at Exit 171
All of the highways in Lake County are part of the Top of the Rockies Scenic & Historic Byway.
For additional views, click here
Leadville/Lake County and Twin Lakes can be reached by automobile or by flying into Denver, Colorado Springs, or the Eagle County Airport. Car rentals are available at the airports.
The Leadville Lake County Airport does not have commercial service but can be accessed by private craft.
Limited bus transportation available or private transportation arrangements may also be made.
Leadville can be reached by CO Highway 91 or US Highway 24. US Highway 24 between Leadville and Minturn is also the 10th Mountain Division Memorial Highway. All of our roads are maintained for year-round travel, making Leadville and Lake County easily accessible.
Lake County has several mountain passes that are only open in the summer:
- Hagerman Pass between Leadville and Rudi Reservoir -- 4-wheel drive only
- Independence Pass on CO Highway 82 between Twin Lakes and Aspen
- Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Alma -- 4-wheel drive only
- Weston Pass between Lake County and Fairplay -- 4-wheel drive only