Leadville Ski Joring
March 4-6, 2016The 2016 Ski Joring Weekend will be held March 4-6, 2016. Book your stay today!
What Is Ski Joring?It's an action-packed sport where a horse and rider race across the snow, pulling a skier who's holding onto a rope. As the horse gallops, the skier flies over jumps and spears rings set up along certain parts of the course.
Why: It's a thrilling event to watch or join! Let Outside Television show you why:
When: March 4-6, 2016 - See the full schedule.
Where: Leadville's Harrison Avenue, the main drag, is snowpacked for action all weekend long.
Who: You and your friends! Horses, riders, skiers; cowboys, cowgirls, cheerleaders. Mountain bikers, skiers, snowshoers, ice skaters, sledders, history lovers.
How: Join in!
- Participate: Ride your horse or ski. Giddy up! Register today!
- Cheer: Line Harrison Avenue to catch the excitement!
- Gamble: Bid on a team at the Calcutta auction.
- Bring the Kids: Children can go ski joring behind a snowmobile, Saturday at 10 a.m.
Other Weekend ActivitiesRound out your weekend with these winter activities! (See the full schedule.) At 10,200', the nation's highest incorporated city is the capital of winter:
- Night Ride – Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series – Mineral Belt Mayhem: Join a fat tire bike ride after dark on the 11-mile Mineral Belt trail ringing this historic mining town.
- Downhill Skiing: Family-friendly Ski Cooper and Chicago Ridge have all-natural snow, short lift-lines, and full-day lift tickets for just $50.
- Nordic Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Snowmobiling: Explore nearly 100 miles of groomed trails near Leadville and at Tennessee Pass Nordic Center.
- Sledding: Zip down Dutch Henry sledding hill for free; tube rentals available (11 a.m.-5 p.m. $5/hour, $3/half hour)
- Ice Skating: Twirl under the sky and stars at the Huck Finn ice rink, with its new warming hut ($2.25 admission; skate rental $2 for adults, $1 for kids 14 and under)
Get CozyWind down from the action with these great choices:
- Explore a Museum: Experience more Leadville history at the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Shop and Dine: Check out Leadville's antique and specialty shops and restaurants.
- Stay the Night: Make a weekend of it! Book your room today!