7 Things To Do in Twin Lakes this SpringMay 15, 2019
When planning a visit to the high country, make sure you head to Twin Lakes, Colorado! Set near the edge of two of Colorado’s largest glacial lakes, this historic village is both picturesque and welcoming.
Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway
The Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway, also known as Highway 82, is a popular route between Twin Lakes and Aspen—so you know the road to Twin Lakes will be a beautiful drive. This twisty-turning road climbs to the summit of Independence Pass, with jaw-dropping views at 12,905’. And it’s and is open only in the summer months.
Traditionally, the pass re-opens the Thursday before Memorial Day. This year, after winter’s historic avalanches, the Independence Pass Foundation says it is unlikely the pass will open until early June. Please check Colorado Department of Transportation for the latest updates. Yet local businesses in Twin Lakes are opening on time for the summer season!
7 Fun Things to Do
Starting Memorial Day weekend, here are seven things you can do in Twin Lakes:
1) Get caffeinated. Jump start your day with a hot cuppa joe from Perkolated Peak’s Coffee Van—great coffee with a Colorado vibe.
2) Get the scoop on what to do in Twin Lakes. Head to the Red Rooster Visitor Center for visitor info with a smile. If you’ve been out of cell phone range, you can use the Wi-Fi to check in—and post that amazing lake pic on Instagram.
3) Find unique local art. A small-town treasure shop, the Shooting Star Gallery features pottery, photography, and paintings, fiber arts, wood carvings, jewelry, and much more by local artists.
4) Pick up souvenirs, camping supplies, and locals’ tips. Stop by the Twin Lakes General Store for gas, food, snacks, one-of-a-kind cool souvenirs, camping supplies, wine and beer. You can also find great advice for how to enjoy Colorado’s tallest mountain and largest glacial lakes.
5) Grab lunch to go—then sit by the lakes. If you’re hankering for burgers, smoked pulled pork, a Reuben, ribbon fries, or more, Punky’s Food Truck is ready with a scrumptious hot lunch!
6) Have a scrumptious sit-down lunch or dinner. The Twin Lakes Inn & Saloon will open for lunch Friday through Sunday, and dinner every night of the week. Salads, soups, entrees, and desserts so delicious that you’ll want to stay another day! The Inn also offers lodging every night starting Memorial Day weekend.
7) Take a boat ride (on or after June 1st). Head for open water with Twin Lakes Interlaken Boat Tours. These fascinating narrated tours take you to Interlaken, a ghost resort on the lake’s far side, accessible only by foot or by boat. Call (903) 930-1568 to confirm the opening date and reserve your spot.
More About Twin Lakes
Want to learn more about these gorgeous lakes and this friendly town? Check out 10 more reasons to visit Twin Lakes.