End of Summer: Dining In, Museums & MoreJuly 31, 2021
Have a great end-of-summer experience at Leadville and Twin Lakes, Colorado. Everything is reopened in Leadville and Twin Lakes, Colorado! Here’s a quick roundup of things you may have missed last year–and can still catch this summer–here at the top of the Rockies.
To round out your vacation, or catch some culture on a rainy afternoon, check out Leadville’s many museums. Some close for the season after Labor Day, so hurry in!
National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum: Did you know that baseball was the after-work game of choice for miners in the late 19th and early 20th centuries? And that mining companies supported the teams? Check out a special exhibit, “Miner Leaguers,” to see vintage equipment and uniforms and historic photos, with text in English and Spanish, through December 2021.
You’ll also find new displays that tell the story of 27 Hall of Fame inductees. See what they invented, awards they received, books they wrote or translated, and more. Don’t miss the world-class gem and mineral collection, walk through life-sized mine replicas, and much more.
More Fascinating Museums:
- Heritage Museum: Discover Leadville memorabilia and fascinating facts about this mining town. (Call for hours after Labor Day)
- House with the Eye: Experience day-to-day life of upper middle-class Leadville in the late 1800s and early 1900s. (Open through September 2021 by appointment)
- Tabor Home: Tour the home of mining magnate Horace Tabor and his first wife, Augusta. (Open until Labor Day)
- Temple Israel: Learn about pioneer Jewish life, Leadville’s resident Jews, Temple Israel as a synagogue, and life in a mining town in the 1880s and 1890s.
Healy House Museum and Dexter Cabin: Tour Healy House and Dexter Cabin to see how wealthy miners experienced Leadville during the silver boom days. (Healy House: Thursday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Sunday, Noon – 4 p.m.; last tour at 3 p.m. Please call for reservations.)
Tabor Opera House: Take a guided tour of this elegant opera house, built in 1879 in just 100 days. Be among the first to see pieces from one of the finest collections of historic stage scenery in North America! These stage sets and drops date to 1879 and were discovered at the Tabor in 2020. You can also take one of the first-ever Tabor tours in Spanish! (Open until Sept. 5, 2021)
More Great Tours:
- Leadville, Colorado & Southern Railroad: Take a scenic train ride high into the alpine wilderness. Be sure to check out the special rides including Devils Tail BBQ specials into September, and the fall photo weekend specials!
- Matchless Mine: Hear the riches-to-rags story of the Tabors, peer down the shaft of the mine that fueled the Tabor fortune, and see the cabin where Baby Doe Tabor lived out her years. (Open through September 2021)
- Leadville Safari, Cemetery, and Ghost Tours: Roam downtown Leadville and Evergreen Cemetery and hear fascinating stories of past residents, on summer weekends. (Open through September 2021)
- Twin Lakes Interlaken Boat Tours: Ride a pontoon boat across scenic Twin Lakes and tour a ghost resort from the late 1800s.
Dining In & Nights Out
- Get a cold, creamy snack or hot coffee at Scott’s Coffee & Ice Cream Shop
- The Golden Burro Cafe is renovated and reopened, with a plant-based menu.
- Tacos La Mina serves up burros, quesadillas, tortas, and more.
End your night at one of our fun bars and saloons! Come raise a glass at Leadville’s new brewery, Two Mile Brewing. Or have an inventive cocktail or mocktail with appetizers and desserts at Before & After Leadville. Both opened last year.
All the Things That Are New!
You’ll find plenty of brand-new offerings in 2021. Come see what’s new in Leadville and Twin Lakes! Many new businesses have opened in the past year, giving you new choices in outdoor recreation, wellness, and eating, drinking, and shopping. We can’t wait to see you back here! 📷: @supandcycle