COVID-19 and TravelMarch 18, 2020
[Updated March 26, 2020]
Statewide Stay-at-Home Order
Colorado Governor Jared Polis has issued a statewide stay-at-home order from March 26 – April 11, 2020. The only exceptions involve essential trips such as grocery shopping or health care appointments. Now is not the time to vacation in Colorado, as our key tourism attractions are closed.
The U.S. Forest Service has closed Colorado trailheads, campgrounds and cabin rentals, picnic sites, and restrooms and is discouraging fishing, hunting and trail use. Colorado Parks and Wildlife has closed all of its playgrounds, campgrounds and camping facilities.
While escaping to the great outdoors and more rural parts of the state like Leadville and Twin Lakes may seem like a logical idea, Colorado’s mountain communities have limited medical facilities and personnel whose services need to be reserved for their residents. Non-essential travel is discouraged at this time.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our towns safe. We look forward to welcoming you when it is safe to travel once again.
Short-term lodging such as AirBnbs in Leadville and Lake County, which includes Twin Lakes, will be closed from March 20 – April 30, 2020.
How You Can Help Leadville and Twin Lakes
This is a special invitation to seasonal homeowners, the racing community, annual vacationers, former residents, and vacation-rental owners to help the Leadville community get through a challenging time. It’s our hope that you will join us in our initiative to help support this community.
Here are some good ways you can help from near or far:
- Consider purchasing gift cards online from a local market, restaurant or retail merchant, and gifting them to a friend, local first responder or health professional.
- Purchase Safeway gift cards from the Leadville Lions Club and donate them to the St. George Church to support their ongoing efforts in feeding the most.
- Make a donation to Planned Pethood of Lake County to help build resources for local pets in need.
- Purchase retail and restaurant and gift cards now for a future trip.
- Need to send a gift? Think Leadville first for a piece of original art, buy online and send it through a local shipping store.
- Buy a family membership to the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Prepay for reservations and services you will use during a future visit, such as pet sitting/grooming, hair salons, massage or yoga classes.
- Give the gift of adventure and prepay for a zipline tour, fly fishing trip or a day on the golf course.
- Support our small ski areas and check out a 2021 season pass or a book of lift tickets for next season
- Send flowers to your favorite local people.
- Shop online for locally-made art, furniture, jewelry and place an order.
- Renew your subscription with the local newspaper.
- Call a local real estate agent if you’re in the market to buy or sell.
- Become a member and support Leadville and Lake County organizations.
- Set up the in-laws in style in their own lodging accommodations for their next trip.
- Call or shop online at our local bike and outdoor shops for that new bike, fresh ski or climbing gear you’ve been wanting.
- Look ahead and book that party space, plan that dream mountain wedding
- Reserve next year’s hut trip.
If you live in Leadville or Twin Lakes, please check this list of Local Business Resources from the Leadville Herald. This resource will be updated continuously until at least mid-April.
How to Stay Informed
Please continue to follow guidelines from authorities during this time. Here are some helpful links:
- Lake County Colorado COVID-19 Official Source
- Colorado Travel and COVID-19
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Worldwide Updates & Travel Information)
If You Need Help