Leadville Ski Joring & Crystal Carnival Weekend
March 6-8, 2020
At the 2020 Leadville Ski Joring and Crystal Carnival Weekend, see the unique sport of ski joring and join mountain bike and Nordic ski races, a paintball biathlon, and umpteen other kinds of winter fun!
What Is Ski Joring?
Leadville Ski Joring is an action-packed sport where a horse and rider race down snow-packed Harrison Avenue in Leadville’s downtown, pulling a skier who’s holding onto a rope. As the horse gallops, the skier flies over jumps and spears rings set up along certain parts of the course. It’s a thrilling event to watch or join!
You can ride your horse or ski, bid on a team at the Calcutta auction, or line up on Harrison Avenue to watch the excitement! Kids can get in on the action, too, and try ski joring behind a snowmobile. Watch the horses and skiers on Saturday and Sunday, from noon to 3 p.m. both days! (Please, no dogs or drones at ski joring.)
It’s a Winter Race Extravaganza!
Every bit as fun as ski joring is the Crystal Carnival part of the weekend, with unique races guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
- Harrison Nordic Knockout Sprints: Ride the snow on Leadville’s main street before the horses do. Ski the avenue under the lights, Friday at 7 p.m.
- Shelter Dog Shuffle & SkiJor Races: Walk, run, snowshoe, or ski with your pup; Saturday.
- Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series – Night Ride – Mineral Belt Mayhem: Join a fat tire bike ride after dark on the 11-mile Mineral Belt trail ringing this historic mining town, Saturday at 6 p.m.
- Leadville Nordic Paintball Biathlon: Nordic skiing plus paintball at Tennessee Pass Nordic Center; Sunday, 10 a.m.
Join the time-honored ski joring Saturday night dance at the Elks Lodge at 123 West 5th St. Or the First Friday Contra Dance at FREIGHT!
Backcountry Film Festival
Celebrate the human-powered winter experience at the Backcountry Film Festival. Enjoy films of adventure, environment and climate, youth outdoors, and ski culture. Plus beer from North America’s highest brewery, Saturday at 7 p.m. at Periodic Brewing.
Even More Winter Sports
Not ready to race? You can still round out your weekend with winter activities galore. At 10,152′, the nation’s highest incorporated city has the best outdoor fun.
- Downhill Skiing: Family-friendly Ski Cooper has all-natural snow, short lift-lines, and full-day lift tickets at affordable prices.
- Snowcat Skiing and Scenic Tours: Float down backcountry slopes in fresh powder or take a scenic tour way above treeline. Get a lift on a snowcat at Ski Cooper/Chicago Ridge for an unforgettable experience.
- Nordic Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Snowmobiling: Explore nearly 100 miles of groomed winter trails near Leadville and at Tennessee Pass Nordic Center.
- Sledding: Zip down Dutch Henry sledding hill for free; tube rentals are available.
- Ice Skating: Twirl under the sun or stars at the Huck Finn Ice Rink.