Leadville Ski Joring & Crystal Carnival Weekend
March 2-4, 2018
At the 2018 Ski Joring and Crystal Carnival Weekend, see the unique sport of ski joring and join mountain bike and Nordic ski races, a paintball biathlon, and umpteen other kinds of winter fun!
What Is Ski Joring?
Leadville ski joring is an action-packed sport where a horse and rider race down snow-packed Harrison Avenue in Leadville’s downtown, pulling a skier who’s holding onto a rope. As the horse gallops, the skier flies over jumps and spears rings set up along certain parts of the course. It’s a thrilling event to watch or join!
You can ride your horse or ski, bid on a team at the Calcutta auction, or line up on Harrison Avenue to watch the excitement! Kids can get in on the action, too, and try ski joring behind a snowmobile.
Other Weekend Activities
Round out your weekend with winter activities galore. At 10,200′, the nation’s highest incorporated city is the capital of winter.
- Nordic Sprints: Ski the avenue, Friday at 7 p.m.
- Night Ride – Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series – Mineral Belt Mayhem: Join a fat tire bike ride after dark on the 11-mile Mineral Belt trail ringing this historic mining town, Saturday night.
- Paintball Biathlon: Ski with paintball, Sunday morning.
- Downhill Skiing: Family-friendly Ski Cooper has all-natural snow, short lift-lines, and full-day lift tickets at affordable prices.
- Nordic Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Snowmobiling: Explore nearly 100 miles of groomed trails near Leadville and at Tennessee Pass Nordic Center.
- Sledding: Zip down Dutch Henry sledding hill for free; tube rentals are available.
- Ice Skating: Twirl under the sun or stars at the Huck Finn Ice Rink.