Groomed Winter Trails in Leadville
Snow comes early and stays late in North America’s highest city! Conditions are great from late fall well into May. Whether you Nordic ski, snowshoe, fat bike, or snowmobile, you’ll love the groomed winter trails in historic Leadville, Colorado. Hit the motherlode!
Why Leadville’s Trails Are Pure Gold
- Free! Access nearly 100 miles of trails totally free, with a nominal fee for the Nordic Center trails and only a $7 donation at the golf course.
- Groomed Regularly for Easy Travel: All trails are groomed on a regular schedule throughout the winter. Check the latest conditions!
- Above-Treeline Views: In Leadville’s East Side Mining District, you can get above treeline just minutes from town! See jaw-dropping views of Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, and several other 14ers, plus the Mosquito Range to the east. Come to Leadville for elevated beauty.
- Multi-use: Whether you want to cross-country ski, skate ski, snowshoe, fatbike, snowmobile, ride a snow bike, or more, we have a trail for you!
- Good for All Skill Levels: Whether you want challenging new terrain or are a Nordic novice, you’ll find a scenic trail that fits your ability.
- Open December to May: At 10,152′, Leadville is North America’s highest-elevation city–meaning deeper snows, longer. We’re on backcountry snow most years from early December through April, sometimes into May. Check conditions any time. And get your winter fix for more of the year!
Feeling competitive? Find upcoming winter races and events!
- Overview map: Shows trail networks and maps.
5 Free Trail Systems
See the latest grooming and trail conditions by area!
- Mineral Belt Trail: A 12-mile groomed loop around town, through the historic Leadville Mining District and evergreen forests (about the trail / map).
- Mt. Massive Golf Course: 7 miles of groomed trails wind gently in and out of forested areas and along the fairways.
- Timberline Trails at Colorado Mountain College: A rolling system of groomed trails through the forest.
- Timberline Trails Winter Singletrack: Nearly 10 miles of trails perfect for fat biking.
- Turquoise Lake: A 14-mile loop of groomed roadway around the lake, with spectacular views of peaks, canyons, and the frozen lake itself.
Check the conditions and hit the trails!
Tennessee Pass Nordic Center
- Enjoy more than 16 miles of groomed set track and wide skate lanes on the Tennessee Pass Nordic Center trails.
- Rentals of XC skis, skate skis, snowshoes, and fat bikes.
- Views of the stunning Sawatch Range.
- Relaxation: Coffee bar, beer and wine, soups and sandwiches, a toasty woodstove, and a large sunny deck.